Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The power of music

I found this quote of Mr. Watson's site who found it on Elise's site:

"Music speaks what cannot be expressed,

soothes the mind and gives it rest,

heals the heart and makes it whole,

flows from heaven to the soul."

I was thinking about writing another This I Believe on the power of music and this just reminded me of it. All through out my childhood I've been in music lessons; first piano, then clarinet, then singing. All have been enjoyable for me and have opened the door to the entire musical world. Although I've never made the connection before, school and music go hand in hand...for me at least. I don't know about you but I'm one of those people who can't do their homework without being plugged into my Ipod. Now that I think about the connection between school and music, I've taken music lessons as long as I have been in school, and I've been a decent student. Now don't let me tell you that there's a connection because there have been hundreds of studies of how a students test scores go up, simply due to music edjucation.

Although for some it may be a learning tactic that will help them in school, music also works in other magical ways. When a writer has a feeling so intense that they write an incredible song, years later any random person can listen to that song and the exact same feeling can come over them again and again. I'm one of those people who listens to music depending on my mood. (You know, like Kelly Clarkson for breakups and all that good stuff). Just the other day I was have a really really bad day. My friend plugged me into her Ipod and put on some happy go lucky song by Hoku and suddenly, without realizing it, I was in the best mood I had been in all day. Music, just like that, had completely changed my feelings.

No comments: