Thursday, March 8, 2007

Adah at "my school"

So in english class today, we did an activity where we walked around campus and tried to see it through the eyes of a narator from the Poisonwood Bible. I was suppossed to be Adah. So here goes my stab at being Adah:

As we were forced back into reality, I once again found myself sticking out like a sore thumb, wierd. It's a world where Rachel belongs, even Leah with her perfectionist ways.. This place is so different from the Congo it's almost ironic. Not only are all of the people white but they're all young like us. Not young as in congo children young where the girls have babies when they're 15, but young as in younger than our mom young. Rachel's age. Too old for Ruth May. They all sit together in groups, like they're afraid of moving from their shady havens. Each group to thier own. Some read books, only once I assume, but others just sit there, shrieking to each other as if talking in high pitches will help them communicate better. "Oh my God!" God my on . They throw around the Lord's name like they throw around their trash. They have such priviledged lives and take it for granted as if the perfectly manicured lawn will be there forever and the trash will dissapear as soon as it is from their grasp.

I walk around, feeling invisible and like a big flashing light all at the same time. I get glances from the students, back and forth, back and forth, like it hurts to look at me. Like they feel ashamed to notice something different. Some smile. Most just aren't used to change. So priviledged. Priviledeged so. This is how they live. They know nothing different. I hope they know they won't be here forever.

No comments: