Friday, February 23, 2007

SAT Practice Essay

Remember that this is a first draft and I'm not suppossed to edit it. It's basically everything I could get out on paper in the limited about of time.

25 minutes. Ready....GO!

Ever since I was little, I've been bombarded with different types of media telling me what is good, bad, and ugly. Being a female, I grew up in a society where skinny women are pretty. Everything else is just…not. Advertisements of every sort always include some gorgeous, tan and super skinny model selling everything from school supplies to hair products. This constant exposure of so called "perfect people" I enough to drive any girl crazy.
In the modeling industry, of which I've dipped into, a super skinny model is considered "chic" and "high fashion." The skin and bone models are the ones that get the high paying jobs. Sure some people are naturally born with super fact metabolisms but the sad fact is that most are not. The females on the covers of our magazines are these "perfect" women; at least that's what everyone says. But where did this airbrushed super skinny look come from? The media.
Back in roman times, a larger woman was a sign of wealth and prosperity. I f a woman was too skinny it meant that she didn't have enough money to buy food. I'm sure that in the Grecian myth of the city of Troy, Helen, the woman the war was started over, was not some 5'10", 115-pound girl. She was a wealthy princess, which meant she actually ate. Yet when the Hollywood hit Troy came out in theaters staring Brad Pitt, perfect Helen of Trop was portrayed as exactly that: skinny. How refreshing would it have been to see a real woman play the part instead of a tiny woman? Whether you like it or not, the connection between Helen being goddess like and being skinny is definitely implied.
So how can we be surprised that girls at younger and younger ages are having eating disorders? The pressure to be a size 0 is everywhere. Not only does on get praised for having no body fat, but there are even T.V. shows based around ones weight. VH1 has a reality show called Celebrity Fit Club where people try to drop off the pounds and are publicly humiliated when they don't. On shows like America's Next Top Model (a personal favorite) do the plus size models ever win? Never.
How blind the media has made us. The general public now looks over what's important about a girl like her brain, heart, and personality and looks straight to the superficial aspects of her. Like my mom says "Since when did being a size 2 become so important?"

No comments: